Thursday, November 12, 2009

Everybody's got a story that can break your heart

I heard this song years ago and the lyrics just always stuck. It's by Amanda Marshall (I had to google that)

When I'm in a bad place and hear people's stories that seem worse or more challenging or heartwrenching than my current situation, or they have to do with things I never imagined those people to be going through, these are the lyrics that play in my head.

It also helps put into perspective that you're not the only one with problems and is somewhat humbling and comforting at the same time to know that just because your life is difficult to deal with, other people's isn't peachy either. We're all in this thing called life together. We're all going through it and dealing with it. It doesn't take the same course for any of us but it does guarantee that there will be hurdles for all of us. These hurdles, when discussed with other people, may not seem as big a deal to them as they are to you but they're causing you pain or discomfort, so they are a big deal for you.

People always say, you think you have problems, what about the kids in Africa or wherever, who're starving and such. Before, I used to feel like ya, that's true, I do have it better than most people. Now, after someone explained it to me, I've realized that Allah has different tests for everyone. The test for those kids is how to deal with the hunger and provide for their family. My test would be completely different from that but equally as challenging for me. It's always said that Allah mian doesn't put you through anything He doesn't believe you can survive. It's how you handle that situation is what the test is.

I hope we all have the strength to survive all these tests and situations to the best of our abilities.

1 comment:

  1. Well said missy. Whenever I'm in that sort of a place, I find comfort in the same thought, that Allah doesn't test you more than you can handle, but also that at the end of the day, this is all just a test and our real life starts later. All the suffering, all the pain, its all transitory. It doesn't make it hurt any less in the here and now, but it does give hope.
    Ameen to your dua, and Inshallah S's situation will become better...

    ReplyDelete